Friday, November 27, 2009

Reign Over Me

Witwiwo:

What: Reign Over Me

When: The 24th of November, 2009 at approximately 9pm.

How Long: 2 hours, 4 minutes

Where: On the Testosterhome's kick-butt TV

Why (/Expectations): We were done with out Thanksgiving dinner, that's why! Gosh, what's with all the questions!? I'd heard it was good from a bunch of different people, but my expectations were relatively low.

What I ate while I watched: Swiss Cheese & Crackers (SO GOOD) and a Klondike Bar. Not in that order.

Starring: Adam Sandler, Don Cheadle, Liv Tyler, Jada Pinkett Smith. Also small appearances of Donald Sutherland and B.J. Novak, which were pretty good.

Director: Mike Binder (also the author)

Two Sentence Synopsis: Charlie Fineman (Adam Sandler) lost his wife and three daughters in the 9/11 attacks randomly reconnects with his college roommate, the now accomplished dentist Dr. Alan Johnson (Don Cheadle). As Johnson tries to help the psychologically devastated Fineman, he discovers much about loss, grief, and relationship even in his own life.

My Favorite Part or Quote was:
Charlie: Are you a faggot?
Johnson: Don't say faggot, you just don't call people faggot that's rude.
Charlie: To a gay guy it is, to you it's just a funny word like poundcake or pickle... You really need some Mel. [ordering tickets] Yeah, I'll take one adult and one faggot.

How Fun It Was: While I would never label it a comedy, it had some oh-my-goodness hilarious moments. The above quote is once such instance.

The Positives: This movie was real. That is, it portrayed characters who were not unbelievable in their circumstances. Nothing seemed forced in the plot. While a lot of actions were surprising, I felt like I was watching something that actually could have or should have happened. The amount of comedy, the degree of grief--everything seemed very realistic. Stellar performances by Cheadle and Sandler, too. It was nice to see Sandler do some good work that wasn't a comedy--a lot of people don't realize how good of an actor he is.

The Negatives: Very few. There was some sexual innuendo, but I didn't think it was forced or grotesque. And there was some language that some people may find offensive, but again: I don't feel like it was forced.

The Theology, Philosophy, Morality or Application: Sadly, hardly a mention of God, but still it had a good point, that sometimes grief doesn't need to be "fixed" by a shrink or something, but kind, compassionate relationship.

One thing I learned: That, as a "fixer" of things, or someone who feels the need to control and fix things, sometimes I need to take a step back and find similarities in my own condition, instead of coming from a place of arrogance, and sit down with my fellow sinful man and community with him.

The Ending: For a feel good ending, I didn't feel like I was just being pleased as an American who's gotta have it all wrapped up well. I really felt like the ending was reasonable.

Go/Rent/Buy/Don't: GO SEE THIS MOVIE. At least rent it. But it is well worth the purchase.

2 comments: