Saturday, December 26, 2009

Avatar

Witwiwo:

What: Avatar

When: Friday, December 18

How Long: 2 daggum hours and 42 frickin' minutes. Really long, in other words.

Where: Manchester Cinemas, Rock Hill

Why: That would be a question more appropriately directed at James Cameron. But mostly because the trailer looked pretty epic and I'm all for some kick=assery and alien cultures.

Director: James Cameron (also the author)

Starring: Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Zoe Saldana, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel Moore.

Expectations: Fairly high, because Cameron spent half a billion on it's production, and I've heard buzz about his new technology for over a year now.

What I ate while I watched: Cookie dough bites and a Mountain Dew Livewire

Two Sentence Synopsis: Handicapped Marine Jake Sully guides an 'avatar' alien body in order to infiltrate the Na'vi, natives of the alien world Pandora. His growing involvement with the Na'vi brings him into conflict with the greedy corporation behind the human expedition on Pandora.

My Favorite Part or Quote was: The final battle. I mean, there were a few quotes here and there, but it was epic and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

How Fun It Was: Like I said, a few quotes here and there, but overall not hilarious. Very entertaining though. Visually if nothing else.

The Positives: The graphics were pretty amazing, as was the the action. I also thought the culture and 'alienness' of the Na'vi and Pandora as a world was very well done. It really felt like a different, fantastic world.

The Negatives: The plot. It was fairly stock and easy to predict. Greedy corporation seeks to destroy nature and the native race. Spy turns sympathizer with a love interest in the chiefs daughter. Nothing I hadn't seen before. Also, the major "Mother Earth" overtones with the Na'vi and their religion was pretty tiring to sit through.

The Theology, Philosophy, Morality or Application: The basic point was don't get so greedy you go destroying the environment or indigenous peoples. Also, don't be unaccepting of those who are different from you. Fairly tired and dumb concepts to be hammered at in this repetitive way.

One thing I learned: A worn-out message and fairly stock plot can be made very entertaining if accompanied by good cinematography. And it can keep me on the edge of my seat. And make me tear up a little. Just a little.

The ending: Pretty good. A little happy, but not too americanly so.

Go/Rent/Buy/Don't: Go see it, because it is an experience on the big screen. It is worth at least the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment