Thursday, December 17, 2009

Run Fatboy Run

Witwiwo:

What: Run Fatboy Run

When:
12/12/09

How Long:
1 hour, 39 minutes.

Where:
TESTOSTERHOME FTW.

Why:
Because I love me some Simon Pegg.

Director: David Schwimmer

Starring:
Simon Pegg, Hank Azaria, Thandie Newton

What I ate while I watched: A klondike bar. Always. Like Walmart's low prices.

Expectations: Meh, not too much. Then only thing I'd heard was that it was differently than Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

Two Sentence Synopsis: Dennis Doyle leaves his pregnant wife at the altar and realizes it was a huge mistake five years later. He decides to run a marathon to show her he's changed and to show up her new "perfect" boyfriend.

My Favorite Part or Quote was:

Gordon: You left her pregnant at the altar!
Dennis: That was five years ago!
Gordon: Well, I guess women just have a long memory for that kind of thing.

How Fun It Was:
DAGGUM HILARIOUS. I was literally laughing out loud (not 'loling') for most of the film.

The Positives:
The comedy, for sure, and the message behind what Dennis was doing--it wasn't just straight up revenge and I-will-win-my-girl-back fanaticism.

The Negatives:
Whit (the new boyfriend) was conveniently perfect to begin with and then conveniently douchebaggish at the end. There was little progression or early indication. It wasn't horrible, it was just not my favorite part.

The Theology, Philosophy, Morality or Application:
Fairly decent; Had a lot to say about fulfilling others expectations of you, and wanting the best for people. Dennis didn't leave because he was afraid of commitment, but because he was afraid he couldn't give Libby what she deserved. Good stuff.

One thing I learned:
Large Indian guys will always be funny. Especially when they give good marriage advice.

The ending:
Excellent. Wrapped up and "happy," but not perfectly neat.

Go/Rent/Buy/Don't:
Definitely rent, worth the purchase.

2 comments:

  1. concerning whit, you do see glimpses of his true nature throughout the movie. when playing with the toy boats, for example, you see his pride is his stuff. at the birthday party, his pride and arrogance are well on display. things like that. he's not a complete DB early on, but you can see it hiding underneath.

    which was hard for me, because azaria usually plays such lovable roles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about those times. Still, I feel like he went was seemingly perfect at the beginning to complete douche bag at the end with very little transition between the two.

    ReplyDelete