Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Zombieland

Witwiwo:

What: Zombieland.

When: December 6, 2009.

How Long: 1 hour, 28 minutes.

Where: Carmike Cinema 7--yeah $2 movie tickets and sketchy atmosphere!

Why: Because I'd heard it was excellent and honestly, who can beat $2 tickets?

Expectations: Relatively high, although it is a zombie comedy so that was somewhat of an expectation dampener.

What I ate while I watched: Nothing, sadly, because I had just partaken of some Meat Lover's and Bacon pizza from Papa John's.

Director: Ruben Fleischer.

Starring: Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin and surprisingly, Bill Murray.

Two Sentence Synopsis: In a post-zombie-apocalyptic U.S. (Zombieland), a young man known (to us) as "Columbus, OH" meets and joins an older man, "Tallahassee," with a penchant for killing zombies, and oddly, Twinkies. They in turn meet up with two sisters and together learn about trust while kicking some zombie ass.

My Favorite Part or Quote was:
Oh, that's hard--probably their road trip. But as far as a single quote, there is this one:
Little Rock: Who's Bill Murray?
Tallahassee: ...I've never hit a kid before... I mean, that's like asking who Gandhi is.
Little Rock: Who's Gandhi?

How Fun It Was: Hilarious. Probably one of the funnier movies I've seen this year. I was laughing out loud throughout the whole thing.

The Positives: First, the comedy--amazing. Second--the lack of typical Zombie movie philosophical questions. No wondering "Should I shoot my loved one who has turned Zombie?" or "Are they still partially human." And no search for a cure.

The Negatives: The language. I mean, I didn't have the biggest problem with it personally, but it was a little unnecessary at times. "Bill F*cking Murray" for example. (And I quote: "I know it's not your middle name.")

The Theology, Philosophy, Morality or Application: Like I said earlier, not much...but there was a good bit of dialogue about trust and what it means. That's an important issue in the midst of a zombie apocalypse.

One thing I learned: In order to survive in a zombie apocalypse, it is a good idea to follow certain rules: 1. Cardio. 2. The Double Tap 3. Beware of Bathrooms 4. Seatbelts. 17. Don't be a hero (That one was made to be broken). 18. Limber Up. 31. Always check the backseat. 32. Enjoy the little things (In Tallahassee's case, Twinkies).

The ending: Nice and wrapped up. Not all that dynamic, but not unpleasant from a literary, good-story-telling point of view, not that bad.

Go/Rent/Buy/Don't:
GO SEE IT. I'm (un)dead serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment