Monday, December 28, 2009

Sherlock Holmes

Witwiwo:

What: Sherlock Holmes

When: December 25, 2009--Christmas, baby!

How Long: Just over 2 hours.

Where: Charleston's sketchy theater--Oakbrook. I mean, it is only $4.

Director: Guy Ritchie

Author: Sort of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. A big sort of.

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Mark Strong.

Why: Because I love me some Sir A.C. Doyle, and some Downey Jr. And Law. And because it was a gift to the kids for Christmas.

Expectations: Pretty high, with those two as lead roles and the trailers running nonstop for the past month and a half, I've been looking forward to it.

What I ate while I watched: Some popcorn and about a frillion Twizzlers.

Two Sentence Synopsis: The very Downey Jr.-ed Holmes teams up with the reluctant Dr. Watson to battle the supposed black magic of Lord Blackwood. Along the way they kick a bunch of random butt to unearth an ironically non-magical villain.

My Favorite Part or Quote was: Ooo, that's a hard one. There were quite a few one-liners.
Holmes' and Watson's dialogue throughout was pretty hilarious. I quite liked their argument in jail though, when Watson complains that Holmes' steals his clothes, to which Holmes replies "we have a barter system."

How Fun It Was: Pretty daggum funny. A lot of the comical parts were in the trailer but there are still others, and they didn't seem forced.

The Positives: The plot was pretty good. Not easy to predict, at least. And the very subtle use of Holmes perceptive abilities was a nice touch. Also the dialogue between Holmes and just about anyone.

The Negatives: The focus on the action seemed a little out of touch with who Holmes is in the historical understanding. Not that it wasn't enjoyable, but it did take away from the sleuth aspect of his nature. Also, not that it wasn't enjoyable, but Downey plays very similar roles in most of his movies, and feel that this Holmes was almost created for that role. And finally, the computer generated images left a good bit to be desired.

The Theology, Philosophy, Morality or Application: Pretty much nonexistent. There was a hint of the supremacy of rationalism and logic that could be seen through Holmes' methods.

One thing I learned:
Uh, bring your own drink because the theater soda will quickly run out if you have several people sharing it.

The ending: Decent. A little clean, I felt. And open-ended. I feel like they started in the wrong part of Holmes and Watson's relationship if they intend to make a sequel.

Go/Rent/Buy/Don't: I didn't feel like I wasted money on seeing it in theaters, but you aren't losing a whole lot by not seeing it on the big screen. It is solidly worth the rental, but I would say go see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment